View Single Post
Old 12-21-2000, 08:59 PM
Posts: n/a
They were likely called "hubcaps" since the early carriages and wagons, etc., when they really were hub/spindle/bearing caps. The term continued into the automobile era, when they still really were hub/spindle/bearing caps, even into the fifties on some vehicles. One of those terms that stuck, I guess - very much like calling truck drivers "teamsters", though their teams of horses have been dead for several decades.

BTW, do some race/sports cars still have/use spin-off, real HUBCAPS?
Reply With Quote