View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 05:45 PM
just a guy

C-R-A-P!! Every time I do something on this beast, it seems I make another task for myself fixing something else!!

Thanx for the info Peter. Ironically, not one-half hour ago, I was so-o-o happy that my three-door 280 is now a four-door, and the fix did NOT result in the destruction of any parts, I decided to stretch my mechanical prowess and clean up under the distributor cap. Shined up the rotor, cleaned off the post in the cap, and (gasp) used a fine abrasive strip on the points. As you must expect, and much to my chagrin, I put it back together and found the auto will not start!!

Now with Peter's info in hand (belatedly), I suspect I ground off the platinum on the points. (Platinum points -- whodathought?) I just figured I jostled the points enuf to throw off the gap, which by the way appears miniscule. The engine spins freely but does not come close to catching.

Do you think this is the problem? But for my oscillation, the car seemed to be running quite well until I stuck my ham-fisted appendages under the hood. Woe is me...