View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 07:40 PM

Hmmm.., Mercedes reputation was built on the bulletproof sedans they used to build.

It is not uncommon at all to see old MB diesels going 400K miles without having to do anymore than normal maintenence. Maybe a transmission if city driving was common in your lifestyle.

On the highway, the old diesels would last practically forever. During the gas crisis of the '70's and '80's most of MB's fleet for the US was diesel up until '85. The reliability standard really stemmed from Mercedes diesels of that vintage.

The R107 SL is ok, but it requires a watchful DIY'er, and was not really meant to be a daily driver. Anyone who can put up with the ride of an SL can put up with the ride of an M3. I only plan to use my 560SL in short jaunts to the local beach, or for Sunday drives.

The SL is a timeless piece that one day, like the old Pagoda SL's of the '60's, will be worth quite a bit of money. They are roadsters after all.

"Knowledge is Power" most definitely, of course. This is what I live by and hope to achieve as much as I possibly can. Its a craving.

In the future, when you are confident in your own mechanical abilities, buy another one. Learn these cars inside out, and the experience will be rewarding. When you're idle mysteriously raises in "P", you will be excited to know what it could possibly be; "Ah, probably the slider valve" or "Oh, maybe the idle control box under the floor mat," etc.

Good luck with your future endeavors,

1986 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) (166000)

1978 Porsche 924 (99000)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder R50 (201000)