View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 PM

75 240D Head gasket, I need some input...

Okay,
I have to admit I am deeper than I have ever been into a motor. Can you believe it after almost 50 years of tinkering on cars this is the first head I've pulled.

So here's my question:
The rear of the head was leaking a little water due to a blown gasket. The mating surfaces are showing a little corrosion around this area (no pitting though) that appeas to be just surface buildup. To clean this can I just take a wire wheel on my drill motor and have at it? Can I use this to clean up both mating surfaces before reinstalling the new gasket and head?

Also I thought I might make a deal with my local tranny shop and have him run the head through his parts washer but will this hurt anything? I have not pulled the valves so the seals and everything are still in the head.
Will these be damaged by the washing?

2nd question, I am preparing to place an order with Phil and I'm in debate about the valves and seals as this car has never used a drop of oil and I mean after 1100 hard miles on the freeway it was not down a drop. I have not seen any usage even between oil changes so I guess I have to question whether or not to mess with the valves and seals. Thoughts?
'85 300SD Silver - Sold
'78 Ski Nautique