Thread: 98 ML320 sludge
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 08:23 PM

Stupid may be a little harsh. I assume you trust the technology used in a benz to tell you when your front pads are nearing their end of life, the sensors that fire the airbags, the sensors that monitor wheel speed and make the necessary adjustments, etc. Having been in the high tech industry for 30 years, I do. When you add the input from MB service pros that should be better informed about their product, you may be led to trust something that leads to realignment of actions.

The problem appears to not be technology, but the manner in which it is used. The time/mileage/oil condition monitoring system appears to have one serious flaw....the firmware that controls it does not react properly to addition of new oil to 'top up' the level. Take note the next time you add oil and you will see the FSS indicate a longer period than was there prior to the addition.

Yes, there is a flaw in the system, MB has recognized that and so have I. Yes, I will go back to more frequent, mileage based oil changes. Stupid, no, a little too trusting, perhaps.

Thanks to everyone else for your meaningful insight.