View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 07:58 AM
To understand the cost of warrantee look at the cost to buy extended warrantees. They know the numbers and although a bunch have gone belly up recently due to not realizing the unique costs involved with the latest cars, for the most part they make money at it.

I would imagine that anyone reading these lists would be a low insurance risk against failure. Failures do happen within warrantee but the costs are mediated by the consumer in direct relation to his sense. A water pump recognized as leaking and sceduled for repair cost a bunch less than one that fails on the road and that last 2 miles takes out the block.

If you have never driven a car with a coolant leak you are a lottery winner. I drove a 450SEL from Orlando to Gainesville (110mi) with a puking water pump stopping every 15 miles to add 3 quarts from my 2 gallon stash. If you have learned how to drive without burning up the motor in a coolant loss why would you want to pay for warrantee costs that include people who can't, in the risk pool.
Steve Brotherton
Continental Imports
Gainesville FL
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician