Oddly enough, the other day I did almost the same thing as you. I pulled the cap off of the latex circuit board. I proceeded to rip all the latex off. I was not as thorough as you(what you did is amazing). I took the whole mess back out to the car, and plugged it in, I put the cap back on, but not the part that the latex mess was in. It worked for the first time in years. It has worked flawlessly since then. I think the design is horrid. I am sure that stuffing something behind would have helped, because my circuit board had been pushed back a bit. I will buy a new one when this fails, it is $59.00 here at Parts Shop. Since I don't know what 700-800 RPM's sounds like on a diesel it was nice to find out I was actually idling at 500!
[Edited by patsy on 12-28-2000 at 11:48 AM]