View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 12:12 AM

The ideal is to measure duty cycle, but you can take an average of voltage to know your duty cycle. This information I copied from some article, I am not to be credited for it:

"Mercedes has chosen the less common definition of "duty cycle" in this case. They are referring to the percentage of the entire pulse period during which the voltage is zero, not the time when it is near battery voltage (mine was +13.6 V when the battery was +14.0 V). In other words, if the pulse rests at ground for 7 milliseconds and then rises to +13.6 V for 3 ms, the duty cycle is considered to be 70%.

If you have an oscilloscope to measure this timing, fine. If not, it can still be estimated with a voltmeter. Since continuous "0 volts" would be considered 100% and continuous 13.6 V would count as 0%, just measure the voltage between pins 2 and 3 of X11 and divide that by 13.6. Next subtract that ratio from one, and convert the result to percent.

For example, if the meter reads 4.0 V, first divide 4.0/13.6 = 0.294. Subtract 1.0 - 0.294 = 0.706, or 71%. In equation form:

Duty Cycle = [1 - (V{pin 3}/V{max})] x 100%

Remember that if the oxygen sensor is doing its job and the system is operating closed-loop, the reading will jump around, so you might see readings from 5 V to 7 V and have guess at an average"

Sorry we could not meet on Sunday, @ what time will you be working on the car?
I may be able to meet with you on Tuesday. (I am on vacation)
609 Certified