View Single Post
Old 12-29-2000, 06:10 PM

Well It hink when they do that its because that car as far as car size and where it was in the mercedes model lineup would be the equivalent to the e-class.

I would think they do this to provide people with familiarity as to the vehicle size.

Most people recognize S Class as being the big benz, the E-class as the mid size, and the C class as the baby benz. so to have cars.com use E-class in reference to an older mid size mercedes, is to provide people with familiarity I think.

I may be wrong here, but that is how I see it. I have seen places refer to a 190E as an E-class, when in actual fact it is more along the lines of a C Class as far as vehicle size.

Everyone has no problem with the SL designation whether its an older SL or a newer one because everyone sees them as an SL.

I think more people are confised when they see an 94-95 E320 in coupe, convertible, and 4 door versions witht he same model badge, with no variation to designate the different cars.

My car is a 300CE, you could tell it was a coupe vs a sedan because of the C in it, so from behind you could instantly tell my car was a coupe and not a sedan. but on the 94-95 if you saw two same color and all sedan next to coupe with the e320 badges, you would not know they were different until you saw the sides of the cars.

Now they have different classes for each type of car, an E class coupe is a CLK. an S Class coupe is a CL. and so on. this is just to make it easier for people to see a car driving and see the numbers and know its a coupe or convertible or sedan.

S500 is a sedan, we all know that. CL 500 is a coupe, we all know that. There will be no mistaking a CL for an S and vice versa.

I originally thought when they changed it that they were out of their minds, and now I wonder why it wasn't like it is now way back then.

Alon