View Single Post
Old 12-30-2000, 11:47 PM
Not sure what you are saying about the alignment. Did they align it or not. If they aligned it and it didn't need changing that is different from them doing anything else.

The ideal suspension would be one that had NO toe change with change in ride height. I find the 210 chassis pretty good in this respect. I lean on all cars I align to see the change in toe. When I hang my 280 lbs I get at least as much deflection as your ride height change. I wouldn't expect any more toe change than the tolerance in toe.

Unless you have different spindles the camber will go negative with lower ride height. They probably are going to find this acceptable as there is no ready correction in the front of a 210 chassis. To get a camber change a bolt modification kit must be installed at probably all four lower control arm pivot points. I'm sure your dealer stocks these items but they take a lot more work so they might tend to accept the negative camber as a minimum compromise. If they did align it they should have a print out.

As to a second alignment after the tires, well you wouldn't like my recommendation here. You are not going for performance here. You are going for looks. Everything you are doing is destroying what the best automobile engineers in the business built. You are going to have to make a lot of compromises from here out. When I align those behemoths of wheels I always add considerable toe-in to cover for the extra deflection caused by the added weight and adhesion.

Unless the etc. in "(springs, shocks, swaybars, etc.)" included stiffer control arms and bushings alignment becomes a reaction to tire wear and a correction for driveabilty not a meeting of numbers from now on (with the big wheels).
Steve Brotherton
Continental Imports
Gainesville FL
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician