View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 05:00 PM

Central Locking System

Is it just my imagination or is the whole vacuum operated central locking system an ongoing PITA. Mine has a slight vac leak (which I am going to get to soon) and as a result, everything locks OK and will unlock again as long as it is not longer then 45 minutes.....then I have to start the car to unlock the other doors and trunk. So, I have to ask.....in typical car, how long should the vac hold?

My next thing, is to look at changing the system ala the 126 with a little vac pump dedicated to the locking system. It's almost as though our cars were an experiment that MB found didn't work very well. I am thinking that a pump from a 126 (or ?) and connected into the locks via a vacuum switch....say around 15" should work quite nicely. Might even eliminate the resivoir tank as well. Let the pump stay hot at all times so that even with a sight leak, it would cycle for a couple of seconds or so while maintaining vac. If one wanted to be creative, one could put in a low voltage relay that cut the system out at 11.5 V or so.

Any reason why this shouldn't work......plus it would be invisible.
'98 ML320 (for sale)
'86 560SL
'05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (offroad in style)
'87 Chevy Blazer (AZ Pin Strips)