View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 04:36 PM

Exclamation 1986 420SEL Hazard light switch

Hello. My 1986 420SEL has a broken hazard light switch. I turned the hazards on while unloading at my apartment and when I went to turn them off the switch would not switch to the off position. The hazards do go off when I hold the switch in the off position but then the turn signals do not work (and it is probably a safety hazard to be driving with one hand while fooling with the switch and turn signals with the other. I removed fuse #1 which stopped the blinking but I think I need to replace the switch or at least remove the old switch and see if I can get it working properly. Only problem is I can't figure out how to remove the switch. I tried to pry it out through the front of the dash with a screwdriver but this seemed to succeed in damaging the wood of my dash and fail in it's actual purpose. Also I can't figure out how to access the back side of the dash panel without removing the radio and I don't have the proper radio removal tools. Any ideas? Also I found a switch at the Benzbin.com for around $19 does this sound reasonable? Is there a way to fix the current switch? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

By the way I've had this benz since late 2001, it has 193,000 miles on it and it runs smooth as silk and looks pretty good too (great considering it's parked on NYC streets). Happy New Year.

RK