View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM

Danger, Will Robinson...

May I offer some friendly advice on using fuel additives to pass an emissions test.. I would only resort to using them as a last resort. Do all of the basic maintenance items listed above, check for pending fault codes, ensure all sensors have reliable connections, and test the emissions system if you have access to the appropriate scan tool. That marginal failure may also be a sign of an aging cat converter on its way out. Check the pre- and post-converter exhaust gas temperatures to rule that scenario out.

Only when all of that fails choose an additive from a reputable manufacturer.

Most of the so-called "octane boosters" and engine cleaners are nothing more than ethylene glycol (antifreeze), kerosene, and good old H20. If you understand their formulation and effects, you may be less likely to use them on a regular basis. Kerosene has a greater heat energy than petrol, causing the mixture to burn hotter during combustion. The irony is that octane "boosters" actually have the opposite effect, and may eat away at gaskets / fuel lines over time. Anyhow, enough about chemistry :-)

If you want a safer proactive approach to maintaining a clean engine, I would recommend Techron or a BG product (BG44k) between oil changes. And in my experience, raw aviation fuel in small quantities or Torco race fuel makes for a better track-only octane "booster"..

Hope that helps!