View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:24 PM

Just to let everyone know, I was able to replace the hazard light switch that was malfunctioning through the front of the dash. I ended up buying the switch from the local Benz Dealer ($22 but I needed it quick as I had no turn signals, I'll order from fastlane next time) and asked one of the guys there if it was possible to pop the switch out from the front and he recommended putting masking tape around the switch to protect the wood and then using the two smallest screwdrivers you can find, jiggle the switch back and forth by sticking the screwdrivers between the wood of the dash and the plastic of the switch. I have to say that it did work but the masking tape merely masked that I was actually damaging the wood. Anyway the damage is very minimal, I'm sure I'm the only one who will ever notice and god knows what damage I would have caused trying to get the ashtray, after market stereo and heating controls out of the way if I had gone in through the back of the dash. I recommend this method if like me you appreciate your Benz as a somewhat luxurious though somewhat faded workhorse (a marvel of engineering) and you're not going to obsess over a very minor scratch on the dash. If you cherish your Benz and consider it a classic or have a car that still smells new I would recommend taking it to someone who can properly remove the switch through the rear of the dash or if so inclined go that route yourself.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back frequently.

Rob K.