View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Benz Enthusiast

Question most reliable model

I'm searching for a new benz. but my experience with the w124's arent that pleasant. granted they're great when they drive but that's... WHEN they drive. I've been stuck on the highway numerous times, ended up with broken radiator neck, falst resistors causing car to just stop and being towed etc etc etc. Maybe mine was a 87 but then again my friend bought a 92 400E and he has his own shares of problems from hesitant idles to faulty wire harnesses and so on and so forth.
In short, I'm going to stay away from the w124.
I guess one should spend a little more in the beginning and save the hassle later on is the moral of the story.
I was interested in the 92 to 98 S420 or the S500's but the horror stories are similar when it comes to heater core being replaced and the expence of gazillion dollars at the dealer again like the w124.
Now how about the SL's ? I usually havent seen a lot of posts concerning the 90 to 99 model 500SL or the 300/320SLs. Does that mean that those owners don't have problems with their cars or they're probably in the league of doctors/lawyers who just can't invest the time doing DIY's and then have no choice but to resort to the expensive dealers to get their benzes fixed ?
I'd like to know because if they're trouble free cars then i'll start saving for a 500SL. and from 90 to 95 which year was the most trouble free ? and how about the S500's from 90 to 95 ?
ideas are appreciate and I'm sure will benefit the other members who plan on buying those models.