View Single Post
Old 01-03-2001, 07:11 PM

Just this past weekend I saw that Chilton's manual at a Borders bookstore. I quickly thought about buying it but after flipping through the pages I decided not to. The book is the old style (small). The book covers 10 years of cars. This would be 4,5,6, and 8 cyl. engines, gas and diesels. Also it covered 4 or 5 different chassis'. The book was only about 3/4 inch thick. A book this thin, covering this many engines and chassis', tends to be very general. Granted the book did have specs charts for all the engines and such, but I would want something a little more specific. I recently ordered the MB CD manual for my particular chassis, so I won't be needing to find a paper manual. Personally, I like Haynes manuals over Chiltons. At least in the past, Chilton's seems to be geared to people who know whats wrong and just need to replace the part. Haynes tells you how the systems are supposed to work and has a large troubleshooting Q/A section in the front of their books. Also, Haynes has real photos, where as Chiltons has "artist renderings". I do wish Haynes would print a manual for my W116, but like Patsy said, I guess they're being picky.
MBCA member