View Single Post
Old 01-04-2001, 07:44 AM
LarryBible

Why are you rebuilding? Have you had a catastrophic failure, or has it just gotten to a point of not enough compression to start.

I'm sure you already know that even by economizing this is an expensive engine to rebuild.

I will start through all this and share what little I know based on your rebuilding a tired engine, not a catastrophic failure situation.

To begin with, the valves are cut with a 30 degree face and will probably be unusable. The valves are now available aftermarket, so see that you find them to save money. Make sure you replace the guides and check the head for straightness.

Plan on at least replacing the chain, and inspect all other timing components closely. If the oil has been religiously changed during it's life you might get by with replacing only the rails. The tensioner will probably be okay.

Inspect the cam and followers, but they can probably be reused.

The cylinders have replacable sleeves, however, unless you have catastrophic cylinder wall problems, you will probably be better off, just boring to the first oversize if it will clean up at that. If not replace the sleeves and go back with standard pistons. The chance of reusing the pistons and walls with no rings is remote at best. Additionally diesel pistons are highly stressed, I have had a ringland failure in the past, so plan on replacing pistons.

Unless you have had some loss of oil pressure or something, you will probably not have to anything with the crankshaft except mic. it, and replace the bearings.

Check your headbolts for excessive length, if they are outside spec get new ones. I suggest using a tap on the boltholes and a die on the bolt threads, and of course, oil the threads. These are tightened by angle torquing which stretches the daylights out of them. If you haven't done this before get ready for a workout and/or use a cheater pipe. If you don't understand the procedure in the manual post here and there are any number of people who can explain the procedure.

There are some oil jets and checkballs and things in the block, watch for them and they will be no problem.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress,