Thread: 83 300cd
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 07:56 PM

83 300cd

A few months ago I bought my 83 300CD, blue with palomino, 232,000 miles. It's probably the best running diesel I've ever driven. I drove Audi 5000 turbo diesels for quite a few years and was convinced that they would run until I bought this one.

The man I bought it from paid way too much for it and spent lots of money on top of that. He actually showed me receipts for 8500.00 that he had in the car. I talked to the guy he bought it from and the mechanic that worked on it for him. He bought it for his daughter and she didn't like it, so he drove it back and forth to get his mail at the local post office. It sat in his driveway mostly. I noticed some rust and things like that, but jumped on the 1500.00 that he was selling it for. All that's been done by me are minor things like glowplugs, vacuum lines, little things like that.

The rust is pretty bad on bottom of the rear quarters and front fenders toward the front (next to the bumper). It needs frontend work. I think it's going to need ball joints. The The interior is great. He even replaced the headliner a couple of years ago.

Now I have a dilemma. Is the car worth fixing up? If I spend a bunch of money on body work and such, will I still have a 1500.00 car?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated......
85 300D 288,000 when sold