View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 09:50 AM

Fog lights and high beams on together?

Dear All:

May sound like a stupid question but the other day I changed the bulbs on my fog lights since both were out (standard H3 bulbs). This is an american version 1988, 190e 2.3l 8v.

If I understand correctly, on the american version of these cars, when one has the fog lights on, and then at the same time, turns on the high beams, the fog lights turn off. At least this is what I remeber from when the fog lights worked before and what I have read on this forum. The bulbs have been burned out for more than a few months til I got around to picking up the bulbs just the other day.

But now, when I have the fog lights one ( I tried them out yesterday night) when I turn on the high beams at the same time, the fog lights still stay on. Questions:

1) Is this normal?
2) If not what could be the problem?
3) If no problem, would I melt the wire harness for the lamps if I use both the fog lights and the high beams at the same time?

Thanks,

Iggy

2006 - Suzuki Gran Vitara (2.0 L fully equipped) Like this car so far except for trying to put on the seatbelt.
1988 - 190e - 2.3L - 172K miles (It now belongs to the exwife)
1999 - Chevy Blazer LS Fully Equiped - killed it June 2006
2001 - Honda Civic EX - 68K miles (sold June 2004)
1963 - 220S - Dual Carb 6 cyl. (sold)
1994 - Yamaha WaveRaider (fun to ride)