My oil light comes on only at high RPMs, and goes off when I return to idle--even though the dipstick shows the level is correct. Here are the symptoms:
1) The car is a 1986 560SEC with 185,000 miles
2) The oil pressure is correct at all RPMs
3) There is no sign of blow-by
4) Compression test shows all cylinders > 90% of spec.
5) The oil level is always correct when I check the dipstick and there are no signs of significant oil consumption over time.
It seems unlikely a faulty sensor would show a consistant dependance on RPMs. Could this be from plugged return channels? In other words, the oil is being sent faster than it is returning, resulting in a low average level? Any other ideas? Thanks for the help guys! Andrew Seidel.
85 500SEC Lorinser
83 300D Turbo