View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally posted by diesel lover
I have a 1984 mercedes 190D 2.2 that consitantly gets 38mpg, never any better. It has 275,000 miles on it. The best it has ever gotten was when I had a couple family members with me (big family members......each one weighing in at about 285lbs plus all of their luggage) my car was squatted out, I had the AC on all of the way with the cruise set at 73mph and I still pulled 38mpg! Impressed the hell out of me. The only thing I am worried about with that car is the timing chain, When is it appropriate to tighten it, and how.
Thanks
Ed
Ed, 38mpg is quite good for that car. If you have a 5-speed, it can get better if everything is perfect (40-42 tops). If that's an automatic though, 38mpg is *fantastic*. The timing chain never requires tightening, it has an automatic tensioner. It requires replacement when stretch equals or exceeds 4 degrees. It's easy to check with the valve cover removed. The procedure is in the factory service manual (which you really need for any serious work on the car).

Wolfie, the 1985 300D had a LOT of differences compared to the older models. The rear end ratio was one of many changes. I agree that the gearing is too low on the older ones. My '84 never gets over 24-25mpg regardless of what I do to it. But they are capable of 28-30mpg when everything is factory new, and I know of some with 200k+ that still get 28-30mpg. Mine was worse when I bougt it (19-20mpg) and I managed to get it to mid 20's through lots of little things. But I've given up trying to get any more out of it - I'll just replace the car with a 190D or newer W124 chassis, as I'm not really fond of the 123 (but that's a separate discussion).

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!