View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:35 PM

self levelling susupension elimination

I want to partially agree again with Chris. You are not going to make a 560 SEL handle like a sports car. I am talking about my 300 TE wagon and the same thing applies; it's not going to handle like a sports car. Chris obviously knows what he is talking about in regard to working on MBs, so I'm not really wanting to argue this point too much.

What I am talking about is a good shock versus the "actuators" on the MBs. I just don't believe that the quality of damping provided by the actuators is equal to that provided by a HD Bilstein or an adjustable Koni. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that I am right. However, Chris, don't worry I am sticking with what I have for now. My 300 TE is in beautiful condition with only 87k original miles and the self levelling system is in great shape. So, no modifications are currently in the works there.

By the way Chris, have you ever played around with any sway bar changes on your MBs? That's one thing I was considering doing at this point. I wanted to put a little beefier bars on both ends in order to lessen the roll of the chassis. I have done this with other cars and the result was that there was much less body roll without compromising ride comfort much at all. I have not yet quite figured out what the ideal ration between front and rear bar diameter should be, but hope to do so in the near future. The stock difference is about 14mm.

Whutchens