View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:55 PM
it leaks, its german

Well, there are a few things to think about here.

1) Overhead of running a shop, this incudes the tools, lights, P&L etc...

2) Paying the tech

3) The fact you took on a job that was over your head.

Now, you could have posibly saved a few bucks by getting a machine shop to do the press work.

I know this, as a professional tech I would be very unwilling to take time out of my day to spend 45 minites to 1 hour of my time to press in a set of ball joints for .2 each.

You also have to think about this, most shops are set up to pay the basic bills off parts markup margins. (I was told a 33% gross on parts is the "break even" point.) Keeping all those factors in mind do you still think you got "ripped off"?

If you do, I'd recomend this, start buying tools, technical manuals, get certified, buy equipment, lease a building, start marketing, hire personel, purchase liability insurance (this is a HUGE bill with no returns whatsoever) You'll find very quickly it is not as easy as it seems. I'm not trying to be harsh, a smart ass or "get in your face". I'm simply pointing out the other side of this statement. We as professional techs make our living off repairing/servicing your cars. While there are a lot of exceptions to the rule, most techs are simply trying to make a living.
Acme Automotive Inc.
Raleigh NC
919-881-0364