The procedure is about as simple as that.
Here's a slightly more accurate form of it:
1. Purchase benz service manual CD.
2. Discard Popular mechanics one.
3. Follow instructions from Benz CD.
I posted the instructions from the benz CD back on alt.auto.mercedes about a month ago. When I get home tonight I can repost it to you directly.
The real benz CD has the following manuals:
2. Engine (all engines for the body type)
3. Electrical troubleshooting
4. Climate control
5. Owners manual
The only thing it is missing is the transmission overhaul info.