View Single Post
Old 01-12-2001, 12:22 PM

If you are going to a MB dealer, bring about $3000+ with you. I got a rebuilt transmission from a shop in NJ that specializes in rebuilding MB and BMW auto transmissions with torque converter for $1200. I put it in myself which was a simple job and saved $2000+ for a few hours of work.

That was about 3 years and the Transmission works perfectly. It is actually better than the original because they updated it to the latest level. It has different shifting characteristics that are much better.

For the above reasons, you might me better off getting a complete rebuilt rather than just fixing the one you have.
If you are interested, I will try to find the address. They moved since I did business with them. I think I saw their ad in Hemming's which I don't get any more.

The name is Clark transmissions. Used to be located in Clark NJ. Since I didn't live too far away, I picked the rebuilt up there, also took in my core transmission. They had many rebuilt transmissions on shelves, ready to go. Since mine was an older one('80 300SD) they had to do it special. I called them on Monday and it was ready on THR. I call that good service. They will ship transmission and they can go by UPS since they weigh less than 150 pounds. They also give instructions how to set up the vacuum valve but you will need a vacuum gage.

P E H