View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 09:45 PM

Mmm, no it's on the exhaust manifold. Saucer-looking may be an OK description, also has a single vacuum hose attached to it, and a small tube that the rubber hose attaches to. The small steel vacuum pipe does go towards the front. But what gets clogged is the larger pipe that runs back around the rear of the engine.

If they are going to ream out the pipe, they should be doing it by removing the EGR valve and leaving the pipe in place. The advantage to reaming it is so you don't NEED to do things like R&R the intake manifold. So kind of double dipping on labor if you're asking me. So how did they arrive at $450 for the job if they said 2.5 at $86/hr? If they're going to the trouble of R&R the intake they sure as heck should have just replaced it. You can replace the pipe without even removing the intake, I know I have and it didn't take no 2.5 hours to do it either.
I still wouldn't recommend the reaming procedure either, yo can't get it completely clean, PLUS the pipe MB current sells is modified to prevent the pipe from plugging up again (different design on the tip of the pipe where it always plugs up).

Gilly