View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 06:27 PM

JHZR2,

First, be prepared for the fact that if you put it in the trunk, you will not hear a thing. I installed a powered Bazooka into an '85 300D and was all thrilled until I turned it on. Nothing, nada. I walked around to the trunk and could hear a slight rattle and put my hand on the top of the trunk and felt tremendous vibration. Opened the trunk and the neighborhood could hear the bass. Those 300D trunks are practically air tight. I ended up drilling holes into the metal shelf to let sound thru. It worked to some degree.

That being said, I am in the final stage of installing an Infinity Basslink powered sub in my SDL. I agree with the comment to wait to mound the sub until after you experiment a bit. I have checked and the trunk of the SDL is no where near as tight as the 300D (at least visually) but I will soon find out as I connect wires tonight.

What I am thinking is that I will rig this with quick connectors so I can mount on the floor in the rear seat during the 90% of the time there are less than 4 people in the car. With quick disconnects, I can quickly remove and relocate the unit to the trunk for trips with a full car.

Of course, if I hook it up tonight and it works and sounds great in the trunk, it will stay.

As for the remote turn-on, I do not think the antenna lead will work unless you keep the antenna up. I am sure this is why the newer units have a seperate lead. However, the Infinity unit I have says that if you use the direct speaker connections instead of the pre-amp RCA feed to the sub, this is enough voltage and you do not need a remote lead.

I am also fairly certain you will need to run a large positive lead direcly to you battery (fused of course). Depending on the power of your amp, this wire might need to be quite substantial.

Curious about the Kenwood unit.