View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 11:40 PM

My W111 Euro headlamps arrived today. I'm pleased to say the glass 'bubbles' survived unbroken, except for a small stone chip 'bullseye' that hasn't yet separated. One chrome trim is good and the other nearly so except for a blemish at the bottom. I guess I'm pleased enough to be willing to deal with all the other flaws.

As seen in the Ebay photos, 7" sealed beams have been 'Mickey-Moused' into the headlamp reflectors.

Rubber gaskets/seals are rotten so I'll need to make up new ones.

Seller said the wiring harnesses had been cut but the male and female harness plugs are included and intact so it will be easier for me to make up new wiring harnesses.

Original reflectors have lost some of the mirror finish but most of the silver remains so they're still useable. I'll need to recreate/fabricate bulb shields and sockets for the headlamp reflectors and spring contacts for the little parklamps mounted next to them.
An alterntive would be to modify and fit a pair of those 'off road' 7" H4 Hellas, perhaps with their glasses removed.

As advertised, the foglamp assemblies are missing. Not an issue for me as I already have a pair of vintage Bosch foglights for this car anyway. (But, if I really want them, there are compact foglamps availible that I could fit inside the headlamp units)

Well, I enjoy challenges like this that test my creativity. Many thanks to Dan. His headlight photos will be very helpfull.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 02-24-2004 at 10:23 AM.