View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by d2bernhard
I have 174k, and have almost no history on the car before I owned it. I don't think the chain would need it, but am considering the guides, etc. for preventitive, and while in there might as well renew the chain. I feellike I am on a timebomb with the guides. Am I?
Oil consumption is an indicator of guide condition. If oil consumption is "high" - say a quart in less than 500-1000 miles, you can consider having new valve guide seals installed. When the springs are off, the tech can get an idea of valve guide wear by the amount of stem wiggle. At that point you make a decision to pull the head and overhaul it or just throw on the new seals and keep driving.

If you do the head, then the chain can be checked for wear and replaced if necessary. Worn valve guides rarely cause any consequential damage other than high oil consumption, and 103 chains aren't even on the radar screen.

If your oil consumption is no more than a quart every 1000 miles keep driving it. I'm not having any fun at all unless I bang the rev limiter in second gear getting on a freeway at least once a week! 103s are really sweet between 5000 and 6650.

Duke