Thread: Snap-On MT2500
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 07:49 AM

One of the real skills in this trade is figuring out what to do when there is no communications. That is one reason I have a back-up for most of my test equpment as equpment is always a possibility. From a techs standpoint the next guess all too often is a control unit. Some times it is technique.

I spent about an hour yesterday trying to get rid of an instrument display on a Rover. I had factory info that said the quick up feature for the windows only worked on the front and gave instructions for initializing them. Turned out it was the back windows and the instructions were useless.

Anyway, your year could use different techniques for every control unit unfortunately. I believe that the ASR and SRS are impulse tested. Some scanners have that mode others don't.

I have a snap-on scanner but I don't have a MB module. I may have overstated snap-ons capabilities out side of engine. I know they have a real good plan for the later electronic transmissions.

That car has 10-15 controllers that can be talked to in a couple different methods. You really need the DM (diagnostic manual) to tell how to proceed. The consumer version of Alldata would do a good job here. It is one of the ways I will use Alldata. They have done a good job of sorting the DM into what is for your car by year. The DM is organized normally by system and if you don't know which system then the plan can be all wrong. I go to alldata often because they have figured that out pretty well.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician