View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by duron

Duke, I have a 400E with OE wheels and tires. I do not know the alignment numbers, but would imagine that it is based on factory spec.

Duron
I was trying to make a point, but I think you missed it. You have a relatively high mileage car and probably have no idea what the alignment is or when it was last checked. This thread has offered at least a thousand dollars in recommended work, but not one red cent on diagnosis.

Find out something about the tires installed on the car - make, model, size, speed rating. Are they a quality tires suitable for a 400E or Pep Boys specials? Do they exhibit any abnormal wear?
All you have to do is bend down and look at them!

Find a quality alignment shop and have the four wheel alignment checked and corrected as necessary. A good alignment tech should check for abnormal tire wear, deteriorated bushings and any other problems in the steering and suspension. Figure on spending about $75-$150 for the alignment and inspection. Any other necessary repairs will add to the price. Pay particular attention to the front and rear anti-roll bar bushings as they are known to deteriorate, but changing then is not a high cost job.

I haven't got the foggiest idea what a "clanky ride" means. Try to give the alignment tech a bit more understandable explanation of the symptoms, and also have him drive the car so you can point out the problems.

Duke