View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 AM

I have 245K on my '87 with about 135K on the engine. I don't know why the engine was replaced as it was done by the PO. The car had 202K when I got it.

Overall, the car has been pretty good but then again I'm able to almost anything on it other than rebuild the tranny which ran $2,400 last spring (this was the first time it had ever been opened according to the tech). I've rolled a new timing chain, replaced valve stem seals, put in a new radiator, alternator, and replaced the main wiring harness. Drive train wise, that's been about it.

Other issues (body related) include some window and accessory switches that have needed replacement (and some that still due due to failed lights), door checks, front calipers, and the 'air cells' for the rear suspension. It will need a new muffler sooner or later as the bottom is rusting out of the current one.

In conclusion, 188K sounds fine to me IF you have access to some repair records (I did which is how I new about the replacement engine) and are able to get the car checked out.

Good luck!
jlc

'87 560SEL 267K (177K on motor) Blue/Blue
'98 Buick LeSebre 60K (wife's car)
'56 Imperial Sedan 124K
Past Cars:
'67 Dodge Monaco 130K (Sold)
'87 Chrysler 5th Ave 245K and going strong (sold)
'73 Plymouth Satillite 175K (sold)
'96 Chrysler LHS 80K (totaled)