View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 08:24 AM

mechanic refuses to fix 300e

my serpentine belt broke, luckily i thought, at a gas station with a garage..i was in the middle of nowhere getting gas and it broke. Ive been busy of late, so a diy job just wasnt in me for what i thought to be a relatively simple job of replacing the belt; let the mechanic with tools do it.

i got the belt from the a part dealership ($40 can). I also got some insturctions and tips from this site after searches, and printed them up for the mechanic, basically stating to remove the fan with 2 allen wrenches, and to turn the 19mm ttensioning screw to drop the tensioner pulley etc; photocopied the manual with the belt path; i also said that the tensioning unit was prone to failure, but dont worry about it if it does, we'll take it one part at a time, one day at a time.

so i go to get the car; the owner is gone; his emplyee said that the owner was afraid to work on the car becuase it was a foreign car. I asked what to do, he said to tow to someone who would work on the car...

bizarre! hey, at least he knows his limitations. i gues its a diy job now. oh joy oh bliss. to avoid a tow, anyone know of a way to jury rig with a shoelace the alternator, power steering and water pump to the crank pulley?