View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 10:30 AM

Cassidy,

Its possible the "HACK" mechanics ran the engine without oil. They may have wanted to try the engine with out the oil filter on so they wouldn't have to R&R it again.

If you could get the second mechanic to testify that the engine was run with out oil and that is what did the damage, you might win your case. Sometimes just a letter from a lawyer threatining to sue will get a response.

I like that new style oil filter on the top of the engine, it makes changing the filter doo easy. But I might not like it as much if I had to remove it to replace the injection pump.

One good thing about the Detroit Diesel in my Chevy PU truck is that to reinstall the injection pump (IP) I just inserted the pin on the IP into the hole on the drive flange with no change in timing. Too bad MB doesn't make it that easy. But then it sunusual that a MB IP has to be replaced. The one on the Chevy had to be rebuilt at only 42,000 miles.

If you crankshaft isn't scored, a ring and bearing job should get the engine running again at much less cost.

P E H