View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 07:48 PM

Randy,

LMK if you get stuck on something, I've done this before and had two trannies in and out since.

Take an inside mic or calipers to the ID of the crank and make DARN sure it's close to the same size as the pilot bearing (press fit, but not .080 press!)
Just to make sure you don't have to do something like I had to!

Also, you'll need to use the crossmember from the donor 240. It'll have to be ground down a bit on one side to clear the edge of the tranny (pic below.)

Also, while it's out and easy to get to, cut off the starboard side exhaust mount ear (not going to be used anyway - use the one from your vehicle mounted at the bell housing) - pics below:

Also, might as well steam-clean the tranny, do all the seals on it and paint it while it's out and easy:

Oh yeah, the shift LEVER seals are just O-rings, un bolt the shift levers, lift out, then pry the O-ring out with a seal pick, go the local Hdwr store and match up (or maybe you already have an O-ring kit you can match them out of.)

Let us know how it progresses. I got tired of trying to document it, so I don't have good pics of each step.

One thing though, if you have a good 4-speed (sometimes you just don't know till you get it on the highway if it's a junkyard donor - I know, I've been playing musical trannies with mine), it'll make the car feel downright "peppy"! Whoa...!!! Wait...., did you say a TD???? Never mind.

BTW, if you're ever up in Colo, come by and take my 300D Turbo for a drive, with the 4-speed, from 2k to 4500, it doesn't give anything up to most cars!

One more thing, the secretary for Boulder Biodiesel has a wagon with a bad auto. She wants me to do the 4-speed swap into hers, maybe I'll wait and see how yours comes out before I do it to hers. Also need to procure a few more parts for another swap anyway (need pedal assy and crossmember, have the rest.)
Attached Thumbnails
Auto -> Manual Transmission Conversion Has Begun.-bearing9.jpg   Auto -> Manual Transmission Conversion Has Begun.-trannymt_mod2a.jpg   Auto -> Manual Transmission Conversion Has Begun.-trannymt_mod1a.jpg   Auto -> Manual Transmission Conversion Has Begun.-tranny3a.jpg   Auto -> Manual Transmission Conversion Has Begun.-shiftseals9.jpg  

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol

Last edited by whunter; 01-08-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: attached pictures