View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by R Leo
I knew things were going too well...

All but two of the flywheel bolts came out (relatively easy). The last two have resisted all efforts including the notorious Craftsman, Bolt-Out™ Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set. Without a doubt, a "tool-of-last-resort." Grrrr...I'm bitter. Thing One has jinxed me on this, I know it.

The only option left to me is to invade and "smoke 'em off" with the terrifying DeWalt GMD — "Grinder-of-mass-destruction."
Hitting with heat and letting them cool usually helps.

If you use the grinder DON'T let it touch the flywheel whatever you do.

Wait...., you mean the flywheel on the car you're converting?? Is it going from an auto to a manual??? If it's the auto flywheel (what would be the flexplate on a US vehicle), then grind away, who cares. Then take vice grips to the stub ends that's left of the bolts.

Remember, the bolts are thinner at the center sections, so you could possibly break them off flush with the crank (bad news.)

If nothing else works and you have a cutting torch, you can usually heat up JUST the bolt material and blast it when cherry red. I've had good luck doing this and not affecting the surrouinding material (might need to run a cleaning tap in to chase the thdds.)

BTW, had this same thing happen while pulling the flywheel out of a junkyard donor. Twisted the heads right off two of the bolts. Luckily I still got the tranny and the engine was shot anyway.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol