Thread: 300SDL craze..
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2004, 11:15 AM

Just drove my new one back from NC. It rules. MUCH better than my '78 300d. Granted, the 300d is non-turbo and (I think), needs a motor mount to correct the vibration I get on the highway.
obviously the SDL has tons more power, but it is miles quieter and very much more refined than the 300d. I highly recommend it.
I am still trying to figure out where all the room came from inside. The SDL is only 1 inch wider than the 300d, and only 18 inches longer, but there is much more than that inside and the trunk is way bigger too.
The heating system needs a little work, for some reason it seems only comes on when the car is first turned on and idling, but the AC works fine. There is either an oil or fuel leak right under the power steering unit - I am guessing one of the oil cooler lines is leaking. I don't see a visible leak, but there is oil spattered all over that corner of the car. May be fuel, because I get the fairly strong scent of fuel from the engine , and a tiny bit inside the car, but the stuff that is spattered around is brown. Anybody had this problem and have any hints for me?
'86 300sdl - engine out, maybe I'll have it rolling by June

whole bunch o' bicycles