View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 10:44 PM

On the 500's, there was a real problem with the original distributor caps. There may still be some out there too, there is no service interval on them. You need to get Bosch caps and rotors on the early ones or you can have problems especial in hot weather (especially if you're going to use it in a parade, as often happens to convertibles).

Lots and lots of soft top sealing problems, there are several tech bulletins concerning updating the seals. First two or three years of production were really messed up in the seal area.

I also believe there are problems with AC Evaporators on 129's, you don't hear about it as much as the 140's.

Steering leaks: MAJOR thing to watch for is a seeping steering gear box. Big buck repairs. The steering gear box alone for a 129 or 140 with SPS is a few thousand bucks, for a reman unit, assuming one is available. There are also repairs/updates that can be done to fix leaking power steering reservoirs.

I don't recall seeing a problem with condensation in a 129 taillight though?????

I see this mainly is intended to look for problems in the 500SL's. I would further warn the folks who are afraid of big repair bills to think twice about buying a V12. They are great to drive, but they can consume huge amounts of green when something goes sour on it.

Gilly