View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 09:51 PM

Unhappy Is it possible to retap the 27MM crankshaft pulley hole where bolt fastens?

Here is the situation. The car is an '82 240D. This week the crankshaft pulley became loose so I investigated to find out that the 27MM bolt that holds the pulley in place became loose. The engine would run but the pulley wouldn't turn. The reason that the 27MM bolt became lose was because the bolt's threads and the threads inside the crankshaft hole where it screws appear to be damaged and somewhat stripped. I don't know how this happened other than maybe the previous owner took the crankshaft pulley off for some reason. Anyway, my question to the group is: Is it possible to retap the threads for the crankshaft pulley hole where the bolt goes in? I was thinking that if I buy a tap and a new 27MM bolt that this would save the car. Is is possible to install a helicoil or is the crankshaft made of super hard steel and be impossible to drill to install the helicoil? I like the car alot and would hate to think that this would be the demise of of the car just because of one damaged bolt.

Any advice?

Herb
'82 240D
'87 300SDL
'92 300D 2.5 Turbo