View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM

“...the internet has changed the rules for how the indy shops operate... “ per devil

“...what do you think is a fair markup on parts?” per Hans47

One of my business interests is in an industry that has gone through a demonstrative change regarding the pricing of their products and services. I always contended they were in the service business yet based their prices on the product. Their rationale being the “consumer could see and touch the product and easily understand what constituted a more expensive package (product and service). I feel they are really providing a service and the product is secondary, therefore the cost of business should be based primarily on the service, not the products.

The “internet” has made it demonstratively easier to buy products at competitive prices. Business’s need to accept this fact and either accomodate customers supplying the parts or simply not servicing those customers. The inde shops I use have a simple policy. “If you buy the installed part through us and the part is defective, we will replace it without charge. However, if you supply the part and the part is defective, you will have to pay our hourly rate to remove and replace the part again.“

Auto repair shops are in the “service” industry and their profitability should be through their hourly rate with a “handling fee” not absurd markup on parts. Find find a shop that’s willing to negotiate.

Bob