View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM

Testing control boxes

Does anyone have a procdure for testing the 4matic and/or CIS control boxes on a '91 300TE 4matic? About 2 months ago, I had a voltage regulator go south on me and I didn't realize it for a few days. When I finally checked to see why all my bulbs kept burning out, I found that I was putting out 18 volts. I put in a new regulator and it was fixed. I later learned that the OVP relay doesn't kick in until 24 volts, so it never tripped and the fuses were still fine on it. I think I fried both my 4matic and CIS control boxes, but I'm looking for some more test procedures.
The symptons are that the 4matic activation light has not come on since this incident, even in ice and snow. It also never acted like it was on in those conditions. Also, the car is not idling consistantly. Most of time when warm, it idles at 500 rpm. In general, the car runs fine except for the low idle. One other minor point, its not getting good milage (15 mpg).
I had a spare OVP relay, and swapping it had no effect. I finally (about 3 months after ordering it) got my cdrom manual, so I pulled the harness to the 4matic box tonight and it's getting voltage (with ignition on) from the OVP relay on the pins it should be (1 and 19), so I think that's another sign that the OVP is fine.

Does anyone know a way to test the 4matic and CIS boxes themselves? Can the dealer do this?

Thanks,

'91 300TE 4Matic
'84 300D