View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 AM
eva

Question replacing seatbelts after airbag deployment in a '89 560SEL (W126)

Hello,

I was in a low speed collision with my 89 560 SEL and only the passenger airbag deployed, although no one was sitting in it. My insurance would not cover the damage and declared it a total loss. So now i am currently repairing my beloved car with the insurance money i received for the value of the car. It has been almost 7 weeks since the accident and the car has been fully repaired with the exception of a few problems. Mainly to do with the airbag system. My mechanic had originally replaced the airbag with a used one, but the SRS light on the dash woulden't go off. So then my mechanic thought he needed a new airbag because he believed the used airbag wasn't "compatible" with a californian car, so he bought a new airbag, but the SRS light still stayed on. Also, the drivers side seatbelt is locked and won't retract. He has taken the car in for testing, and he has told me that the SRS module reports "only" a code 10, no others. Since the accident, I've decided that i no longer want to use airbags in the car. I find they're more trouble than their worth (in this car anyways).

What i would like to do is fix the seatbelt while keeping the SRS system disabled, by having the SRS control module removed.

My question is can i fix the seatbelt by simply replacing them with new or used seatbelts, and can i do this with the SRS system disabled? do the seatbelts rely on the SRS system to function? will they lockup without SRS?

Also, if i decide that i want a working airbag system. Would simply replacing the airbag and srs control module unlock the seatbelts? or would i have to replace the seatbelts too.

PS: I had orginally written much longer and detailed post, but i didn't want it to be too unnessarily complicated, so i shorted it. So please feel free to ask if you want to know any other info about what was damaged, replaced, etc.

Thank you for your expertise,
Drew