View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 10:49 PM

Mike,

It sounds like you have done some reading on this. I am not up to speed on this issue and frankly haven't had a need. I think the mechanic involved should do some research if he is truly a professional mechanic and not one of those guys who got a box of tools and has been fixen on cars for many years. Professional mechanics spend many hours and sometimes a fair amount of money on continuing education just like in any other profession. All I know about SRS problems is when someone I know crashed his 87 300E and decided to repair it. He bought another car with a frozen engine and had the body shop swap parts. They used the air bag from the doner car, but the SRS light stayed on. He then installed the crash sensor and the light went out. He did not change the seatbelts, and they appear to be working. Are you saying they shouldn't be moveable? Like I sad, Mike, it has not been an issue I have had to deal with, but if I had I would have done my research. By the way you seem to be skipping around the country these days. We used to be neighbors. I grew up in Santa Rosa, and live just over the hill from Napa Valley.

Eva or Drew or Whoever,

I think you need to change mechanics. I don't know why you chose as you did. I don't know if you chose for convenience, recommendation, or price. If it is convenience or price, you have to ask yourself a question. If I had cancer would I use the same criteria? Sometimes the most expensive repair facility can be the cheapest if they know what they are doing. That being said, you may take a look at taking the seatbelt setup out of an earlier 126 chassis to give you the seatbelt protection without all the airbag fuss. I believe the seatbelt system out of say a 380SEL or 300SD should work. I don't want to be exposed to any law suits since I live in a highly litigious state. I am meerly stating that is possible to go back to a pre air bag era. Personally I am a very defensive driver, and my chances of being in an accident are small. First of all I avoid the knats. Those are the drivers who don't know each other but drive in groups. I always stay in the open and in a lane with an out. That has saved me twice. Once I saw brake lights coming on like lighting a Christmas tree. I quickly steered into the divider strip and watched the car that was behind me slam into the car that was in front of me. Another time in dense fog I stayed in a lane with a shoulder. At the sound of crashes ahead and the sight of bright red brake lights immediatly in front, I pulled onto the shoulder and stopped. I could hear crashes for about a mile at a rhythmic pace. Most drivers don't have a clue that they are at the control of a one to two ton progectile traveling at tremendous speeds. Anyway, enough rambling and hope I have provided some food for thought.

Peter