View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 12:46 PM

The seat belts are still usable once the ETR has blown, they just don't retract cleanly and will hang loose. I had to do a bit of learning about the early SRS system when I got the 560SEL. It had thrown the driveshaft, which then tore through the hump inflicting a direct hit to the crash sensor. That hit deployed the air bag and blew both ETRs.

At the time I started the repairs I replaced the bag and sensor, still had a steady SRS light. Then I replaced the slip rings as they were worn and I figured the conatcts weren't touching the ring. No joy. Discussions with Steve Brotherton and a lot of reading on the system in the manual pointed me to the ETRs. I pulled a pair out of a junked 560 that was a rear hit, pistons were at the bottom of the tube indicating there were good. Installed them in my car and the light went out as the system was again whole.

When I first pulled the blown ETR's I tried to restore the retractability by driving the piston back down the tube. Couldn't move it. Then I tried disassembling the retractor...been there done that and for those who might want to try...DON'T. The mainspring is long, thin and very sharp, it tends to come out of the housing unexpectedly and fast. You could get hurt!

As for retrofitting an older style seatbelt it may not be that easy. Pre-air bag MB's did have ETR's, I think as early as '82. They used a different style retractor and right now I can't recall what drove the retractor in an accident. Due to the different systems they may very well be incompatable. The manual has a good section on the different passive restraint systems.

And yes Peter, I am bouncing around a little right now. Family is still on the west coast while I'm working in the north. Racking up lots of flyer miles though.

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...at least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.