View Single Post
Old 01-30-2001, 04:09 PM

Good morning.
Over the weekend my 84 300SD transmission started acting up. 1-2 shift is fine, 2-3 shift is fine, 3-4, no 4!! I checked the fluid level and it was about 3/4 quart low and I added fluid, and after a bit of driving it finally started shifting fine again. Sunday morning, same thing, but straightened out pretty quick. Yesterday morning, I couldn't get fourth at all..I know that 1-2 and 2-3 problems are usually adjustments, but what is likely when the 4th gear quits?? Is this the "B2 piston failure? When it is doing it, it goes straight into neutral...Acts almost like something is sticking because when it straightens out (if it does) it is back to normal and shifts great...What should I look for? She has 191,000 miles...I know a trans is in my future anyway because the front seal leaks, and I don't want to put 600+ into a high mileage trans but if I can prevent spending 2500+ right now that would be great..The local dealer quoted me a lower price for a rebuilt installed (22-2400)(correction, see comments below)than my local benz shop who said about 2600. Any recommendations would be really great..I live in Austin TX by the way...John
PS, I posted this message in the tech help section yesterday and thought I would post here too..The problem comes and goes..Today it has been shifting perfect..Sure seems like something is sticking intermittantly..I went to the dealer yesterday and they want $2150. for the trans and 700. to install..Someone had mentioned ordering from someplace but I am concerned what would happen warranty-wise on one shipped in...Any thoughts on this phantom problem anyone?? Thanks a billion!!! John