View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 04:45 AM

Guy,

Maybe it was just my experience, but my 1998 E320 wagon was the reason I am now driving a BMW......

I have owned almost half a dozen MBs and love the make but, the only car to ever, ever leave me stranded was my 1998 E320. It had about 60,000 miles on it and was a Starmark vehicle purchased used from the dealer at 48,000 miles. Maybe it was just it's time, but in my opinion, being stranded once because my car wouldn't start is one thing. But to have the situation happen three trimes and all three times have the dealer tow and replace something different, I lost all faith in the car. Sensor this, sensor that, infrared ignition key replaced, crankshaft position sensor replaced.......it was endless. It was my one and only bad taste in a Benz.

Otherwise I loved everything about the car. Handling, ride, stereo, performance, functionality, ergonomics, and technology. Regrettably, in the end, it's most favorable attribute was the 100k Starmark warranty - which received copious use. In my book, dependability is key. The only other car to come close in lack of dependability was my 1996 XJ6. Even that however, never left me stranded. After stalling, it started right back up - and it only happened once.

Like I said, I am a diehard MB fan and it pains me to relate my experiences. As a matter of fact, I am planning on purchasing another E320 although it will be the old body (1995). That was the best car MB ever made. I love the make but have been very disappointed with some of the newer models. They just don't seem to be as "tight" as the older cars. I detail cars on the side and have had the pleasure of piloting many different makes and models of cars. While each has its own positive attributes depending on its intended market segment, I always end up comparing the car against one of my old Benzs - they truly are the benchmark.

If you decide to get the S210 or W210 body style, or any other car, I hope you will make it a Benz and I wish you happy motoring......
300SD ('81), 190E ('89), 420SEL ('86?), Jaguar XJ6 VDP ('96), E320 ('95), Jaguar XJ6 ('97), E320 [S210] 4matic wagon ('98), Nissan Maxima SE ('02), DeVille ('93), BMW 325 ('03), LS430 Ultra ('01), Avalon Limited ('05), S430 ('06), MINI Cooper ('05), Toyota Camry ('07), Hyundai Azera Limited ('07), E350 ('06), LS430 ('05)
Current rides:
Nissan Versa ('08), S430 ('03)