View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 06:07 PM

fuel system prime @ start

Hello everybody,
I have read this forum over the last two years on a daily basis. I have enjoyed and benefitted from the great amount of knowledge and experience. Using the search feature has always provided answers to my questions and I did not have reason to post any. So first of all, thank you for the answers!!! It has saved me a lot of money, I'm sure.

I tried this post on the SL site but did not get any replies. I need some help with a symptom I've been chasing for a while. I have an '84 380sl. When turning the key to the RUN position, I used to hear the fuel pump run for a second or so. When activating the starter, the engine would fire immediately. I haven't heard this "fuel prime" and when I activate the starter,
it takes longer for the engine to fire-up.

Studying the wiring diagram has not given me any solutions. In desperation I bit the bullet and did the wrong thing. I got a new fuel pump relay without proving it was faulty. It did not fix the problem. Rather than continuing the "throwing parts at it" syndrome, I am hoping to get some help. Any suggestions out there? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks