View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 02:00 AM

86 300E won't start - starter question

Hi everyone!

I do not know what I would do without this forum (it is sooo great)! So here it goes...

I have an 86 300E that is having some starter issues (or what i believe to be starter issues). I went to start the car today and it would not start. I then attached a multi-meter to the battery and it gave me a "full-charge" reading, next I had someone turn the key while I had the multi-meter connected to the battery and there was NO shake or drop of the needle so it can't be my battery right? The battery is appx. 3yrs. old, and I coincidentally replaced the negative lead to deal with a different problem about six months ago so the terminals are very clean. I also disconnected and then re-connected my battery leads just for the heck of it. Nothing. Then for no reason in particular I put the car in Neutral and pushed it forward in my garage a few inches; turned the key and voila, started without any hesitation. I have no idea how pushing the car could have affected the starter though, so am I correct to replace the starter next? BTW, my car has 123K miles, I have owned it since 2001 when I purchased it with 74K on the clock.

I have already searched the forum for "300E starter" and I was not able to find the info. I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone might have. Have a great day!