View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 11:15 PM

I have 98 1/2 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 HD pickup with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. IMHO the best darn truck out there. When I was shopping around for a new rig I spoke to many many people. One was a Ford diesel mechanic. His experience told him that the Cummins was a very long lasting motor whereas the the Powerstroke would need work at 100k, no doubt about it. At the time the Powerstroke had more torque and hp but the longevity of the motor was a serious question mark. The Cummins is a proven motor.

I would stay away from an automatic mated with the Cummins. You can count on eating them for lunch, espically when any towing is done. Look for the HD model. It has the 1 ton rear end and with the 5 speed manual you got a serious mix of running gear.

I test drove both the Ford and Dodge, I think the Ford won hands down for fit and finish for the interior, body and ride. The dodge will probably fall apart around the motor, trans, and running gear but the motor will probably outlast me. I think the 24-valves are rated at 450k between rebuilds.