View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 11:22 PM

I think, other than the shift kit, the secret to making the auto last behind a big diesel is to drive it like it has half the horsepower when towing. Take all 30 or seconds to get to 60, 40 would be better, and it will live much longer with a good cooler. Factory coolers are worthless loaded....

Having all that power inclines one to drive it "like a car" -- with the expeted results. Tranny is overworked, and the brakes burn up. My brother is on the local volunteer fire department, and they have put 5 sets of brakes (and rotors) on the new truck in three years -- you can normally smell burning brakes when the truck is parked from all the guys (and girls) driving with their foot to the floor on the gas except when standing on the brakes to stop. Gentle driving allows the heat to dissipate rather than fry things, and reduces the torque load on the frictions so they don't slip.

The overdrive isn't intended for use while towing, as noted.

That said, none of the autos, including the Allison, are really reliable -- again, the vehicle and drivetrain is too light for real towing. If pulling a large amount of weight, you really NEED a heavy truck. Cheaper in the long run, as it won't be broken nearly as much. Pickups are LIGHT trucks, and GVW ratings are somewhat optimistic. I have one friend who belatedly discovered that his Ford Dually (with the fake "dual" rear end) as 2000 lbs over GVW when he dropped his SunDowner horse trailer on empty. Add in a couple tons of feed and tack and 4500 lbs of horse, and there goes the tranny.

I watched some idiot burn off six tires on a similar setup on I71, too -- running 70 mph, half the time on the rumble strip on the shoulder, tires bulged out and smoking. Shed the treads off all the right side (including front) and the left side trailer rear axle. Didn't crash, why I don't know, but a very good example of why you cannot use a 3/4 ton pickup to tow 25,000 lbs GVW.

Peter

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!